Threats of violence temporarily close Bothell High School 

Northshore School District officials temporarily closed down Bothel High School after reoccurring threats of violence.

By Hannah Saunders 

Bothell High School (BHS) was closed to in-person learning on Thursday, Dec. 2, after receiving multiple threats of violence. The first incident occurred after threatening graffiti was found on campus on Tuesday, Nov. 30. On Wednesday, Dec. 1, the BHS community received additional threats carried out through social media. 

“Law enforcement was contacted immediately, and we are continuing to investigate the threat in partnership with the Bothell Police Department (BPD) and District Safety and Security staff,” Superintendent Michelle Reid said in a statement posted on the Northshore School District website. 

Bothell Police Public Information Officer Cam Johnson offered Northshore News a statement regarding the incidents.

“What I can tell you is that out of an abundance of caution and at the request of the school district, Bothell Police, with assistance from the Washington State Patrol (WSP), conducted a very, very thorough sweep of the school last night (Dec. 1) and found nothing,” she said. “Absolutely nothing.” 

Johnson relayed that the BPD and WSP are actively investigating the incidents. They will continue to work closely alongside the school district to ensure that students, families and staff feel safe returning to the learning environment. 

BHS Principal Juan Price notified the community of the initial threat. Johnson said the school district kept families and students informed through emails. Authorities are reluctant to release details of the investigation due to the increase in the likelihood of copycats also wishing to conduct threats. 

“That wouldn’t help anyone,” Johnson said. “This kind of thing causes fear and is very disruptive to the community because our officers and investigators have to take each one very seriously.” 

The high school has a school resource officer assigned by the BPD who is present every day. However, on Dec. 1, the BPD increased its presence with four additional officers on campus. 

Reid encouraged parents and guardians to initiate conversations with students and report anything they knew about the incident to the BPD. She also mentioned counselors would be available if any students feel anxious because of the threats. 

“I want to directly address the individual(s) who wrote the threatening message and those who many know who did it,” Reid said. “If this message was meant as a call for help, threatening anyone, let alone an entire school population, is not the way. We have counselors and school staff ready to provide support as appropriate. The first step is coming forward. 

 “If there is an issue with anyone in the school, there are a number of avenues to resolve the issue. Our priority is to make sure everyone is safe. If it was meant as a joke, these types of threats are not a laughing matter and will be taken seriously. Your school community is counting on you to provide information immediately if you have it.” 

Johnson said the Northshore School District relayed that in-person classes will resume on Friday, Dec. 3 and that the BPD will continue to work closely with BHS to make sure the school has the level of officer presence needed. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here